I have had a change in attitude.
I am going to continue working on my list but I am going to find something fun, unique, exciting or different about each experience. In other words instead of being thankful something is off of my list I am going to be thankful that I have a list of things to do and I have the joy to experience each of them. So what the heck does that have to do with sports? Well – with so much going on in the world of sports you can only handle keeping up on so much so you have to prioritize and no matter the result – you need to learn to just enjoy the game or event. As an example, here is my list of sport prioritizes (notice I specified sports) that I had going into the weekend, the result and how I enjoyed each one.
1) USA vs. Costa Rica Soccer Game– If you didn’t hear, the USA lost to Costa Rica over the weekend. I got to enjoy the game texting back and forth with The Briefing and then watching part of the game with my siblings. The US looked awful during Saturday’s game but this was a game I enjoyed for the company. My brother wants to join the Brickyard Battalion and my sister left thinking soccer wasn’t that bad anymore…I will take it!
2) Indianapolis Indians vs. Durham Bulls Baseball Playoff Game– For some reason my top two priorities didn’t turn out how I wanted them to turn out. The Indianapolis Indians, after losing to the Bulls in the first two games of the playoffs, came home and lost again – eliminating them from the playoffs. If there is a bright spot from this story it is that Indianapolis led the minor leagues in attendance.
3) Indianapolis Colts vs. Oakland Raiders Opening Football Weekend – This game, although maybe not what people wanted, is what people should have expected. The Colts ended up winning 21 to 17 after an Andrew Luck winning touchdown run. Again, Indianapolis seems to be disappointed with such a close win after high expectations of a blowout win, but as I mentioned before, that is not this Colt team’s style. A win is a win and watching Andrew Luck play every weekend is a treat – what a talented young man.
4) Fantasy Football Opening Weekend – If you are not in a league I would advise you jump into one. Right after a five minute conversation about the Colts every other sports conversation today has been about Fantasy Football. Despite what I felt to be good draft picks I believe I am about to lose each of my openers this year. No big deal – I play to stay involved with different social groups winning is secondary. Although I still expect to win each league…come on, it’s one game.
5) The Olympics – Thanks to my USA Today app I have been able to keep up on recent Olympic sporting news. There are two big stories coming out of the Olympics. One, Usian Bolt, the fastest man in the world, is going to retire after this season. It has been an amazing experience to watch this man run at lightning speed (pun intended) over the past few Olympics. Second, wrestling is being reinstated in 2020. A sport that should have never been removed will be back after a one Olympic game absence.
Life is all about priorities and enjoying each task, job, event, gathering or game and not just checking them off your list. What sporting event did you enjoy this past weekend? What game are you looking forward to the most in the upcoming week? In the end, just remember to enjoy every moment and every item on your list. Live, love and play like there is no tomorrow – thanks for reading.
The Marris Minute